Saturday, April 17, 2010

Thursday

I had a meandering day. I went to French Bakery and then no sooner did I sit down and start steeping my tea I read my first email that said I needed to go, within the next hour, to my new agency office. I biked home, got ready, and biked to the agency. It took a whole 15 minutes to take the photos I needed and I wasn't in the mood to bike all the way home again already. My crotch hurt and it was super windy. So I wandered up and down Lincoln Road before I finally decided to gingerly ride a new way home, along back roads.

There is this amazing Cuban Jewish Temple I've passed many times that I've been meaning to photograph, so I pulled my bike over and photographed it.

Riding by the convention center, I passed the Miami Botanical Gardens, which was open to the public for free. I propped and locked my bike. Camera in hand, I wandered the garden; it was lovely; I thought about things.

Adjacent to the garden is a Holocaust Memorial. I've actually passed it many times driving and never noticed it. Not that I didn't see it, I just never thought twice about looking at what it was. Now I know. I even listened in on a high school tour, walked through it, and then sat in on a video (for the high school class) on the making of the memorial.

After that, I made my way back through the gardens to my bicycle.

The next place I ran into biking was the Miami Beach Public Library. I had noticed it last time I was in Miami briefly, so I decided to wander in; nothing too special, but I looked up Morris Lapidus and immediately scrawled down the numbers to find books even though I knew I couldn't check them out. I only found one of the books on my paper, and sat down and began reading a long essay on him. I decided I'd come back another time, supplied, to finish the essay.

At home I ate and wrote and watched food network. Then I got into my car (I couldn't bring myself to ride anymore through wind and pain) and drove down to Miami Beach Whole Foods. I read for English and then went down the street to make the pilates class I had wanted to make, the only plan I had started the day with. The online info was tricky, well misleading/wrong. I walked out, exercise-free and decided to go to the fantastic Publix supermarket I had spotted the previous night. It looked like some giant glass bugshell...this big protective curve in the front.

I thought this day was refreshing and riveting. I thought I'd write a lot about it because a lot happened and I took a lot of pictures and I had a lot of thoughts and opinions...but instead I've summarized what happened in this quick, easy read. All it's missing is genuine thought, emotion, time, passion, and pictures. The pictures always come last though, because they mess up how the words fit together and on the page. All that other stuff is missing I think because somewhere in the back of my mind, the amount of detail I wanted to put into this post relating to all those places and things seemed overwhelming. Like this would become SUPER POST!

What will happen is that I'll add pictures and publish this post. Then I'll write, individually, about each of those places. That way, it's organized, chopped-up, and arranged like finger food. Pre-portioned and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment